Seventy-nine-year-old Catherine Ray will be tackling her fifth Paddle Florida trip this coming spring on the Ochlockonee River. Catherine gives us a brief glimpse into her very active life...
1) Where are you from? I live in a continuing care retirement community in Richmond, Virginia.
2) When and how did you become interested in paddling? My first water tours were paddling the Alligash waterway in Maine (twice) and the St. Johns River (the only river that flows north in the eastern U.S.) with Elderhostel a few years ago.
3) What made you decide to go on a Paddle Florida trip? I heard about Paddle Florida while on Bike Florida, which I have enjoyed 8 or 9 times. I tried it and loved it. I have participated in two Suwannee River trips, one Withlacoochee/Suwannee trip, and the inaugural Ochlockonee trip which I am signed up to go on again this coming March.
4) What have you enjoyed most about the PF trips you've been on? Paddle Florida is very well organized, has friendly staff and participants, trucks your gear to a nice variety of campsites each day, supplies us with good and plentiful food, and the daily paddling distances are manageable. Plus, varying river conditions make each trip unique.
5) Do you have advice for anyone considering a PF trip? Paddle Florida is not competitive. Come once and you'll be hooked!